Monday, April 18, 2011

Do You Believe Yet?

Tonight's game was our "big game" to see if this team was legit. If they were winners. If they had the shit go somewhere this year. Well, we just pulled one out from underneath the chasing Royals, and made it look like we were a veteran team while doing it.

Of course being a Tribe fan I know you're still maybe not convinced, but oh well - it was some good baseball going on tonight so let's get to that.

If you look at the pitching results it's sort of stunning. The Royals' five pitchers and our five pitchers have almost the exact same in-game stats and resulting ERAs, but their closer gave up four and that was that. But we were battling those Royals pretty hard in the first 9 innings.

Once again, Asdrubal was involved in a weirdo play, where someone on our side was paying attention and the other team was not. Billy Butler was called safe at second, and thought he was out, so he started walking off the field. Asdrubal called for the ball and tagged Butler out. Weird shit, right?

How about that Grady Sizemore, huh? Second game back, 3 hits, 1 RBI. Michael Brantley was back tonight and they put him in the 7-spot, which I think is logical. Manny Acta said they wanted to get Brantley up as soon as possible, but 1-6 is pretty tight. So that's why he's not 9th. Orlando Cabrera maybe might lose his spot to Brantley...I say flip 'em. Put some speed between Hafner and Orlando.

Speaking of speed our outfield is looking nice with Grady and Brantley out there. Tons of speed and the arm of Choo. I expect to see a lot of nice stuff out of the outfield from here on. AND...both Brandley and Choo got their third stolen bases tonight. Your turn, Grady!

LaPorta got two hits, and so did Asdrubal.

The hero of the night was SHELLEY DUNCAN! Gotta like that guy. His dad, Dave Duncan, used to play with the Tribe. I hope Shelley sticks around on the bench with us - he's usually good news. My dad is a big fan of Dave Duncan, by the way. He says that Dave used to be found in random seedy bars around Cleveland when he played here. I'm sure my dad tied one on with Dave Duncan at the Grog Shop once or twice. I AM SO CLEVELAND!

Yeah so Duncan came off the bench to pinch hit for Hafner's pinch runner Travis Buck, and got a two-run RBI double that broke the tie in the 10th. Then, the Tribe rallied for three more...like the Royals went in to shock or something. Love the way the team can stay in there for 9+ innings and manufacture runs any way they can. Sunday's game was all homers and tonight's game was 13 hits and 7 walks. Nice!

There was a bit of buzz tonight about some secret team party they have after every win. The team locks themselves in the locker room and does their thing before letting the press in (maybe even the coaches?) Interesting. Tom Hamilton mentioned it before the game and in Brantley's post-game interview he said he was excited to get to the party. That sounds so Bad News Bears. I like it!

Three more against the Royals on this 2 Legit 2 Quit tour. Remember, every time we win we pull one full game ahead of the Royals and a half game ahead of everyone else (unless they lose, then we get a whole game). So we could end the series 5 ahead of the Royals. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Although, this is our best start since 1999.

Let's enjoy this real baseball going on right now. Tell your friends. See you tomorrow!

Radio Chatter:
"Didn't realize it was 'steal a t-shirt' night at Great American Ball Park."
- Tom Hamilton's final words after his half-inning rant about Reds pitcher Mike Leake getting arrested for shoplifting six t-shirts

"With Sizemore at first and Asdrubal Cabrera at the plate, there isn't much you can't do."
- Tom Hamilton

"It's a two run [10th] inning and the fans are flocking to the parking lot."
- Tom Hamilton

3 comments:

  1. I wake up in the morning, eat my scone, walk the dog, drink my Darjeerling and read TPT (the positive tribe)

    One of those is true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, Shelley is my boy. He tossed me a ball when I went to see the Tribe play Boston last year. So that's all good by me.

    I don't know what to think about this group, yet. I was warned so hard away from becomming a fan because they'd disappoint me, but I embraced them anyway, continually hearing all kinds of positive things about their potential. And now, just a year and a half into my fandom, it's starting to look like that potential is manifesting itself on the field.

    Yeah, it could be a fluke, but I'm in this for the long haul, so call me a believer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I meant to chastise you for getting MC Hammer stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete