Monday, August 6, 2012

It Is Now the 80s and Frankie Says Relax

I was at the game tonight. At around the 7 inning mark I was standing there watching people stream out of the stadium from my perch at the very top of the bleachers. John Adams was banging away on his drum, for no particular reason as no one was in scoring position and nothing exciting was about to happen. I was clapping loudly and cheering for whomever was up. A cold calm came over me when I, at that moment, realized that we were not going to the playoffs. There was no pressure to win anymore. I was just there to enjoy baseball on a Monday night. The weather was beautiful, I had my humongous Diet Dr Pepper. Perhaps someone might throw a t-shirt at me. I could scream all I wanted and clap all I wanted and we'd still be singing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" at the half.

I turned to my friends and told them that this is exactly how the 80s were. It's how it was for all Tribe fans in the 80s but especially kids because we didn't know of playoffs or trade deadlines or wild cards. We just got taken to the stadium - the big, empty stadium - on beautiful summer days, and we had pop and hot dogs and yelled and cheered and John Adams was there and we would all sing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame."

So that is where we are right now, guys. It's the 80s again and those of us who care can  just go watch some baseball and yell and scream and drink our big pops. And some people who don't care can still come and tsk in disgust and leave early, or bring your kids because what do they know? The weather is nice again, too.

Ok I'm done waxing poetic about Indians baseball. Let's go over some good stuff that happened in this game.

For one thing, Zach McAllister only gave up 2 earned runs. I am not kidding - since the 3rd out was an error (throwing error in Kipnis, who hasn't had an error in 56 games) none of the rest of the inning counted against him. NONE. So he gave up 2 home runs according to his ERA, which remains under 4. He also struck out 3 in his 1 2/3 innings. Huh.

Josh Tomlin pitched 3 1/3 and until he left, he had only given up 1 run. But he left with 2 guys on base and Sipp came in and gave up a homer so Tomlin got 2 of those runs and Sipp got the other.

Cody Allen has now pitched 9 innings and has given up 1 hit and 0 runs. His ERA is 0.00. Still.

Esmil Rogers didn't want to be left out so he gave up 1 run in the 8th. Argh. Smith came in to finish it and was good and Smithy and didn't give up any more.

Kipnis felt my good vibes today, I know it! He got on in the first by beating out an error, and then came around to score. In the 6th he had a nice single, once again by running hard, and came around to score again! Of course, he had a throwing error that resulted in 7 runs but that's an issue for some other blog.

I did get to wield OMG ASDRUBAL!!! tonight, as he also got a hit in that first inning. He ultimately went 1 for 3 and was pulled in late innings for Hannahan. But actually it was Lillibridge who batted for him but he played left. Hannahan came to bat for Brantley and Carrera went to center. You wouldn't believe how confusing this all was when you're in the few seats in the stadium that have zero view of the scoreboard.

Choo, Brantley and Duncan each got one hit. Brantley still leads the team in average and is tied with Choo again for the league's second place in doubles with 33!

In between all them was Santana who got his 12th homer! He's tied with Asdrubal for 2nd on the team (Choo 13) and is 2nd in RBI behind Kipnis. He might be quietly coming up behind everyone in stats, but not sure if that average is really going to go anywhere. It's been in the 230's since the end of July.

Lopez had a decent night, going 2 for 4 and looking sort of OK at 3rd. He's actually doing pretty well average-wise - he's at .249 right now. If he can be a 250s hitter for us I think we'll have gotten our money's worth (I think he's playing for a free uniform?)

Oh hey, only 6 LOB today! We also didn't get shut out! And the weather - I swear, this was the best weather of the summer. I didn't have to wear a hat to keep my hair off my neck and in fact I didn't break a sweat at the game. At the same time I was comfortable in a t-shirt, shorts and sandals! It made me forget how much I hate summer weather!

Tomorrow is Kluber versus RHP. That game can't be any worse than this game and surely it can't be worse than Kluber's last game - right? I think I might go to the game if the weather stays good. It was fun, I swear! Plus, like I said, there's just no pressure any more. It's just about baseball.

See you there!

Radio Chatter:
"If you're getting outscored 26-6 in the first two innings, and you've got an offense that is middle-of-the-pack at best - not built to be a high-scoring offense - it's pretty easy to see why this losing streak has gotten to the point that it has."
- Tom Hamilton

"If we all thought yesterday was rock bottom after that stunning setback in Detroit, what in the world do we make of this second inning?"
- Tom Hamilton

"...I'm sure he'll agree that if the Indians hit 2 grand slams this inning, he'll give away a whole fleet of Nissan Rogues."
- Tom Hamilton in the 3rd

"If you're wondering who the third voice is on our broadcast tonight, it's home plate umpire Jim Joyce who barks out the balls and strikes as loud as they come."
- Tom Hamilton

"This might be the nicest night of the summer."
- Tom Hamilton may be right

"If you are left handed, you want to face the Indians."
- Tom Hamilton

"You really can't play any worse than the Indians have played in this 10-game stretch."
- Tom Hamilton

"The Twins hierarchy has forgotten more baseball than I'll ever know, but how in the world did Nishioka get called up from Rochester?"
- Tom Hamilton

1 comment:

  1. I think you've got the right attitude, and I made similar commentary after I saw yesterday's score mid-game. The wife and I are headed off to see the Tribe in Anaheim next week, and we're just going to relax and cheer for the Tribe. And I'm going to try to get balls from the guys during batting practice, of course. It's all about enjoying baseball.

    ReplyDelete